Thursday, April 28, 2011

Magpie Tales #63, "The Heirloom"

Photo Courtesy of Tess Kincaid
The Heirloom

Polished love
Timeworn from living
Passion red
Serene blue
Worn and frayed; value intact
Treasured legacy

by Margaret Bednar

This is a "shadorma" poem - syllable count is 3-5-3-3-7-5 and no rhyming.  (my kind of poem as rhyming is not something that comes easily to me)  This is a kaleidoscope, but it reminded me of an old ring I saw in a vintage store recently.  It didn't fit my fingers.

Please visit "Magpie Tales" to see close to 100 poetic responses to the above photo.

I am back (and tired) from a wonderful vacation with five of my children.  We visited Charleston, SC, Hilton Head, and Savannah GA.  The photos and history I can't wait to share with you.  

10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

"value intact". love it.

Helen said...

A few years ago I found a vintage necklace with colors very similar to the kaleidoscope... love how you remembered the ring that wouldn't fit and the unique poem you wrote about it.

Rosie Grey said...

I love what you're doing with words and I love that photo to go with your poem! I'm looking forward to your photos and background stories of Charleston!

Pitterle Postings said...

Love that one today. You did an amazing job!!

Ginnie Hart said...

You just visited 3 places I have already seen but not well, Maragret, so I expect to see great, new images to educate me. In the meantime, I love your kaleidescope!

Jinksy said...

Gemstones do indeed resemble kaleidoscopes with the fire within their centers...

Tess Kincaid said...

I love the notion of love being an heirloom.

Lisa Gordon said...

As always, wonderfully interpreted!
You are truly so talented!

Anonymous said...

I love your multi-media blog! I would like to invite you to my May Poetry Challenge. I hope you decide to join!
Please follow the links below to get started.

My blog: http://verseinanutshell.wordpress.com

The Rules to the Challenge: http://verseinanutshell.wordpress.com/2011/04/30/welcome-to-the-may-poetry-challenge/

Linda said...

your photographs are just wonderful....