Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Magpie Tales #84 "A Refining Darkness"

Photo Courtesy of  Tess Kincaid for Magpie Tales

A Refining Darkness

Apollo's bird followed me many a dark night.  
Ran and hid from truth I tried,
but your unfaithfulness
finally my heart did pierce,
and from my despondent tears you ran.

A dove I launched with olive branch
and yearningly desire your return
as into the night Raven cries, 
longing for a new and better tomorrow.

Other visitors upon my shoulders sit, 
friends to my raven black,
Thought and Remembrance,
our solitude pondered and embraced.

Sorrow's raven for a time did suggest
conversion and cleansing be put off,
but welcome you with open arms I do
and shoed that evil bird away.

My own white light is not so bright, 
a bit tattered and torn like yours. 
A refining darkness is ours to grasp, 
filtered and purified by trials.

Silvery grey 
we can start anew, 
as upon this rock 
your return I wait.

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens 365, September 28, 2011

* * * * *

This is for Magpie Tales #84.  Another despondent take on a prompt!  (You try to write a happy one to this...)   I hope this poem ended in a bit of light as I tried to pick up on the shimmer of grey light in the photo.  


9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

even more than the gorgeous photo and the heartbreaking prose, i liked your explanation of trying to bring a spot of brightness to it! ha!

Maggie said...

Beautiful.

LOL, I agree. Difficult to find happy in this. : )

Helen said...

I really like your Magpie's form ... the way you chose and used words.

rel said...

Forlorn with regret yet hope still present!
Well written!
rel

Reena said...

Love your words, so sad yet hopeful.

Chronicles of Illusions said...

such conflicting emotion contained withing

Isabel Doyle said...

sorrow's raven - lovely lines

Lydia said...

Despondent, perhaps. Beautiful, definitely!

You are such a multi-leveled creative person, Margaret.

Margaret said...

Really, I thank you all for your words and comments! It makes my day.