Friday, January 27, 2012

IGWRT's - Mary's Mixed Bag - "The Game"

Photo courtesy of Google Images
The Game

As you look her way,
admire her curves,
her laugh,

the old game begins.

I hide quivering lips,
flushed cheeks,
unshed tears
behind a painted mask
unspoken words understood:

"I bought absolution
with a 10 carat ring
upon your finger
to love and cherish

whom I please."

You thrust a bourbon
into my hand, whisper
"You need the burn".

You are right,
but I need three
before vindictiveness
replaces vulnerability.

Pressing my body
towards another,
I find security
laughing as I twist
your cold love
around my finger
and think

"You'll never part
with your true passion!

Money."

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens 365, January 27, 2012

* * * * *

This poem has been rewritten (HERE is the original) for Imaginary Garden with Real Toads "Mary's Mixed Bag".  The challenge is to write conversation into a poem.  I hope a conversation with oneself works for this prompt.  Pondering this challenge I recalled a true relationship - a woman I knew who turned a blind eye to her rich husband's vert public philandering.  She KNEW, but didn't want to give up the lifestyle...  

17 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Oh, such insight into a cold dark heart. My sympathy lies with the speaker here, but I find myself shouting: "Run for your life - take the ring as compensation!"

Laurie Kolp said...

You had me right there, Margaret.

Fireblossom said...

Wow. Is it cold in here, or what?

You have a new follower. ;-)

Mary said...

I love the zinger at the end, Margaret. I'd like to hear his answer to that!! (This really is one of my favorites of your more recent writes.)

Hannah Pratt said...

Thanks for the explanation at the end. I read it again and had a very different take the second time.

Other Mary said...

Oh Margaret! Wow is that a twisted, powerful piece. Also, you asked a question about a word on my blog, and I'll answer you here, because I don't know if you'll go back there to look. 'Ibbur—a spirit or ghost that remains in this world to fulfill a duty or obligation that he failed to fulfill in life.' This is a Jewish word I recently learned from a Jewish friend.

Teresa said...

Great! This is a very effective use of dialogue. Such a shame that someone would sell themselves for a lifestyle.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Wowzers. A zillion dollars wouldnt be worth it, to put up with that behavior. Thanks for the explanation at the end. So glad it isnt you! You really knocked this one out of the park. I can just see his leer as he presses the drink into her hand saying "you need the burn". Want to slap him upside the head!

Manicddaily said...

Ooh. This is arch and stark and intriguing.

On separate post, your cAt picture is wonderful. K.

Kay L. Davies said...

Margaret, you are an amazing poet as well as a talented photographer. I'm so impressed with your work.
K

Jinksy said...

And money so often deals a death blow to love...

Brother Ollie said...

love this poem...because it is so authentic.

Marian said...

yikes!

Mary B. Mansfield said...

Such a chilling poem. At least I'm not the only one who was wanting to smack that man upside the head! Such a great job :)

Ginnie Hart said...

It's probably much more commonplace than we'd imagine, sad but true!

Kateri said...

Powerful piece. After reading the explantion at the ending, I'm seeing the last line is about the woman--her passion is money--she will put up with the dispicable behavorior of her husband so long as she has money and pretty things in return...what a sad way to live...

Margaret said...

Thank you all!

Kateri - yes, it is about the man in her mind, but it is also about her. He doesn't want a costly divorce for love of money, and HOW can she really love him... in the end, it's most likely about his money. Very sad, yes.