Sunday, February 12, 2012

IGWRT's Musical Challenge, Patti Smith "Rock 'n' Roll's Poet"

221183:Patti‑Smith‑photo‑by‑Annie.jpg

Rock 'n' Roll's poet,
raging at life, loving life,
a voice organic

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens 365, February 12, 2012

This is for Imaginary Garden with Real Toads "Peace & Noise", a musical challenge: Patti Smith

I will also be linking this up with Sensational Haiku Wednesday - this week's topic is "love".

I have to say, I didn't know much about her.  In doing a "little bit" of research, I got lost in over an hour of reading and listening.   I thought the following was a great summary of who she is:

On May 3, 2011, it was announced that Patti Smith is one of the winners of the Polar Music Prize: "By devoting her life to art in all its forms, Patti Smith has demonstrated how much rock’n'roll there is in poetry and how much poetry there is in rock’n'roll. Patti Smith is a Rimbaud with Marshall amps. She has transformed the way an entire generation looks, thinks and dreams. With her inimitable soul of an artist, Patti Smith proves over and over again that people have the power."

10 comments:

Marian said...

i love your haiku, and that quote about Patti is perfect, "a Rimbaud with Marshall amps." yay!

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Lovely haikku and post.

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

haiku and not (haikku) Sorry! :)

Susie Clevenger said...

Love the haiku and the info on Patti...she certainly spoke to me when I wrote my poem for the prompt.

Mary B. Mansfield said...

Very nice haiku! I think music can certainly use a few more organic voices.

zongrik said...

rock and roll cna be poetry

four love senryu

G-Man said...

Margaret Bednar...
"Because the Night" was the greatest Love song ever!!!
When I was a Youth, I saw her husband perform several times.
Fred 'Sonic' Smith of the MC-5!!

Kick Out The Jams...Mother ****ers!

Kathy Reed said...

Thanks for the introduction...sweet haiku

my heart's love songs said...

i haven't listened to any Patti Smith in ages! thanks for the reminder. and i LOVE your haiku, Margaret! a wonderful description of Ms. Smith!

{sorry but had a heck of a time with the word verification ~ extremely difficult to decifer. also had to use my google i.d. as it wouldn't accept wordpress open i.d.}

Ria said...

Guess I'm looking Patti up!