Monday, April 30, 2012

Magpie #115 "A Brittle Love, IGWRT's Open Link Monday

image by Manu Pombrol
A Brittle Love

Within a brittle love, 
contained I lived

your kisses, fickle,
transparent to all 
but me.

Searched your diary
one moonlit night
expected words of love

but truthful shards
pierced my heart

left me naked and cold
beneath a darkened sky.

"Take a look at me, 
you drowned my heart, 
tore it apart, 

but I'll carry on...

just another victim
howling at the moon

in your endless parade
of the beaten and the damned."

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens 365, April 30, 2012

Photo Courtesy of Mama Zen Photography
This is for "Magpie Tales #115", Tess Kincaid, the host, selected the photo prompt which is at the top of this post.  Below is a photo of my son (in white) and three YouTube video's of him and his fellow classmates of University of North Carolina School of the Arts performing the rock opera "The Black Parade".  Two of the songs "Mama" and "Welcome to the Black Parade" helped shape the above poem, but in no way tells the story or is a part of this rock opera.  

Also linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Open Link Monday".   I used a photo from the "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Sunday Challenge - Featuring Mama Zen", but I won't link this same poem up twice.   Also linked with dVerse "Open Link Night #42 ... it IS the place to be on Tuesday evenings.  

If you like heavy rock n roll, please watch the videos.  My son is the young man in white.  (Believe it or not, he has classical voice training.  Perhaps that is why he is able to sing like this and not hurt his voice!)



The University of North Carolina - School of the Arts students (my son in white) performed "The Black Parade" last night on campus. It is a dark show, about a young man who dies of cancer and this is his journey to death.... his death evokes his strongest memory which comes in the form of a parade or marching band...  The young man "The Patient" replays his memories of his life... (or something like that)

I don't pretend to understand completely the story line as this was my introduction to this "rock opera".  But it was fun watching it on the college campus last night.



Two iPhone photos I took after the show (the videos above were also done on my iPhone),  The first photo is of my son who performed above, and the other of his father and our youngest son...  (who played in the volleyball sandpit the entire show.  :)



27 comments:

Lisa Gordon said...

This is great Margaret.
Thank you for sharing.
I absolutely LOVE your blog header.
Have a wonderful day.

Ginnie Hart said...

I bet the more you see it the more you'll understand it, Margaret. HA! But how fun for you to share your son's success. You've got to be very proud of him!

Unknown said...

First off, really good piece here, love the dialogue built into the poem, came off really nicely. Second, your son has some real talent. The clip seems like those in attendance had a really good show put on for them. The song itself, perhaps it's just me, but it sounds like the incorporated a bit of the traditional song you hear at weddings early on-came off great. Thanks

Margaret said...

... Fred - Thank you for the kind words. Let's hope teh "wedding" lyrics are a bit different! :)

Maggie said...

Ooh, a dark piece. Well done.

Your images are amazing. The header is absolutely gorgeous. : )

Laura said...

I appreciate the flow from your poem into your son's performance...a really heavy progression.

your son is quite a talented young man. you must be very proud!

Helen said...

Where to begin? This music, your family, your talent, your horses, your photos ~~~ I proclaim you superwoman!!

Mary B. Mansfield said...

Unfortunately, I can relate all too well to your poem. Beautifully written, and amazing photos as always!

hedgewitch said...

Really enjoyed the poem and the music; your son is extremely talented, but I'm sure you knew that. ;_) Thanks for sharing the clips with us--I would've loved to have been there and seen the performance.

Mary said...

Margaret, you must be so very proud of your son! What wonderful talent he has. I enjoyed your post today.

Susie Clevenger said...

Loved the poem, videos and photos. I know you are proud. There is nothing like seeing the success of a child.

Scarlet said...

A sad but lovely poem...and the photos of your family are wonderful. Your son is so talented...thanks for sharing this with us ~

Unknown said...

Your poem is heart wrenchingly sad as is the plot of the performance your son is involved in. A very heavy theme. The energy of your poem and of the actors in the video counterbalances the heaviness beautifully. Thanks so much for sharing all of this.

Laurie Kolp said...

Amazing. I know you're one proud mamma!

Brian Miller said...

nice...loved the performance....saw american idiot on broadway so rock opera is def up my alley....so very cool...and talented...

and your poem carries quite the weight itself...and emotion...

Margaret said...

Yes, emotionally after this poem and music, I'm a bit drained:). Thanks, everyone.

Semaphore said...

Drowning after reading a diary... An interesting interpretation of the picture, and so many ways thread the words you've summoned around this idea.

Unknown said...

beautiful but so sad the poem, the rest is fab ...really enjoyed reading this thank you so much for sharing x x

Helena said...

Fabulous poem, Margaret, but greater is my interest in your handsome young son....and that I've found another mum as passionate about their offspring's music and performing as my own. I've visited and linked to previous posts here and been impressed with your lad's talent. Dramas and musicals I adore and ventured in in my youth.

I don't feel so bad about all the posts I bombard both my blogs with regarding my own lads' talents (they're both drummers and chief songwriters in their bands).

You have to nurture their passion as you nurture your pride in them. Here's a couple of links to my sons' stuff (they're first ever videos!) Different style's but just as pleasing. Keep up the pride......I can't shift mine no matter how hard I try. xxx

http://youtu.be/gE0uJkmgpYM

http://youtu.be/CB3qlST1jWw

Anonymous said...

Good luck to your son and good luck to you--searching diaries can be dangerous! Brittle love a wonderful phrase--describes so much (as does your poem.) K.

Herotomost said...

Love the poem, love the song, really glad to see parents enjoying their children's talents...I love that kind of stuff. I wish him the best of luck, he looks to be quite a talent.

Anonymous said...

This was of course an great flowing poem and thank for sharing your son talent and family pictures with us. congrats to him. Thank you for your wonderful poem as well.
http://leah-jamielynn.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

I love the poem you wrote for the Magpie picture. It's always interesting to hear your process for your wonderful creations.

Tess Kincaid said...

Let sleeping diaries lie...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Tess. Stay out of the diaries of other people. There are varying degrees of truth.

"our kisses, fickle,
transparent to all
but me"

That is a bad place to find yourself.

rosemarymint.wordpress.com

izzy said...

Yeah I have messed up and landed on other peoples territory (where I did not belong-)once or twice.It can get very dark and twisted- more than a slap on the wrist. Nice Photo's and
interesting performance! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

good place to hide when you are reading someones diary

renal test