Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Magpie Tales #118, "The Act"

My daughter's "Altered Self Portrait" (Junior in high school) at UNC School of the Arts
The Act

Vaudeville
I resurrect each day,
paint a harlequin-like mask
over my melancholy

role play as a virtuoso ventriloquist
personal ideals, vulgarized
striptease my dignity

tell you what you want to hear
show you what you want to see.

A burlesque caricature
I dance before you,
do whatever it takes

for me to be accepted.

by Margaret Bednar,  Art Happens 365, May 22, 2012

"The Circus With the Yellow Clown" 1967, Marc Chagall

This poem is linked to and a response to Magpie Tales #118 Challenge.  The  photo Tess Kincaid used is of the clown above.  I blended my poem in response to both images here - the top one was recently done by my daughter for her drawing class "Altered Self Portrait".  

8 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

I think this peace is the perfect accompaniment to your daughter's work.

Brian Miller said...

we will go t a great extent to be accepted...and sadly far too often we give up what should be most dear to us...very cool art by your daughter..

Ginny Brannan said...

This is intense, both poem and picture. Excellent piece, Margaret!

Dave King said...

This is a double delight, both are magnificent in my view and compliment each other wonderfully. Double congratulations.

Helen said...

Your daughter's altered self portrait is pretty amazing + the words of your poem ... pack a punch!

Laurie Kolp said...

Love "striptease my dignity" Margaret... and the ending, wow. I feel this!

Unknown said...

Oh, this is such an expressive response, in words and images!! The three parts all work together in a beautiful harmony; the prompt, your response and your daughter's etching. It is music for the eyes and I thank you very much for sharing, Margaret.

Ginnie Hart said...

The drawing by your daughter is exemplary. OMG!