Friday, September 14, 2012

IGWRT's "Rebel Girl"

Peter Rabbit first came to life in a letter for a sick child.
A book was born seven years later.  
Beatrix Potter

Rabbit in jacket, blue,
duck with bonnet -n- shawl.

Exquisite creations 
of a talent refocused.

Self studied, 
eye to microscope, 
her images, theories 
rejected for being a woman!

Illustrated greeting cards, 
a modest income, obtained.

Fell in love with an "unthinkable" man,
a publisher, who died before they wed.

Pursued their dream, 
purchased a farm, 

but her parents "needed" 
a household supervisor.

Peter Rabbit brought her fame, 
her little books a success,

employed a keen eye upon her land,
natural science and conservation, at play.

Met another "trade" man,  a solicitor,
defied her parents; became "Mrs. Lady Farmer",

who eventually preserved

4,000 acres purchased, protected 
today by the National Trust. 

Independent business woman, a feminist, 
a stubborn rebel:  a woman who refused to be defined.

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens 365, September 14, 2012


If you Google "Beatrix Potter Lake District" and click on images, I can only imagine most people would love to loose themselves in her beloved "Lake District" and thanks to her, it is still there.

This is written for Imaginary Garden with Real Toad's "Out of Standard with Izy": September's challenge: Rebel Girl!

This is certainly NOT my most eloquent write, I don't like it at all... but I so love this woman and wanted to bring her to the attention of IGWRT's challenge.  I hope you learned something and are intrigued.  If you haven't seen the movie, "Miss Potter", I found it to be fantastic and I highly recommend it:

8 comments:

Isadora Gruye said...

Oh Margaret: I thank you so much for this poem, until I read it, I had never considered Potter to be a rebel, but your piece brought her struggles and her steadfast authority to be inspiring. Viva la and thanks for posting!

Amrit Sinha said...

This was really interesting !!!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I'm also a die-hard fan of Miss Potter! She seems a gentle stoic soul.

Beverly said...

Margaret your poetry about Beatrix is refreshing. So many people do not appreciate her life and what she did. I grew up listening to a 78rpm record of Peter's adventures in Mr. McGregor's garden, and in my home today can be found many Peter Rabbit items, from books to stuffed animals, china, and figurines. I adore her drawings and gentle stories. Thank you for sharing your poem....I LOVE the movie!

I'm so glad I found your blog! I added my email to get updates, and will become a follower.

Mary B. Mansfield said...

This completely shatters the image I had of Beatrix Potter in my head from reading her stories, will definitely have to watch that movie!

Myrna R. said...

I think this is eloquent enough Margaret, and full of wonderful information I never knew. Thanks so much.

Susie Clevenger said...

Love all the history of Beatrix..we need a bit of her in us these days.

Ginnie Hart said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that movie and have it in our DVD libraty, Margaret. What a woman! What a story! What an inspiration!