Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Mag #173, "Together"

The Promenade, 1918, by Marc Chagall
Together

I'll hold tight the bluebird,
you aim for the sky.

Together,
invincible's within our grasp.

by Margaret Bednar, June 18, 2013

Marc Chagall & his beloved wife, Bella
Marc Chagall and Bella were passionate about one another.  HERE is a little bit about his life, her early death AND Bella's small sketchbook of Yiddish poems she translated into French with Marc Chagall's sketches and paintings.   He continued to use it for 20 years after her death.  The sketchbook was up for auction at Sotheby's in 2011, estimated sale price 600,000 - $900,000.  I wonder what it ended up selling for. 

(Bluebird represents happiness)

This was written for "The Mag #173".

14 comments:

21 Wits said...

Oh my, I could think of so many ways to spend that kind of money and it wouldn't be for that book! Nice writing, and thanks for sharing a bit about them!

Kathe W. said...

oh my gosh- I love this - especially the personal story of Marc and Bella...lovely- Thanks so much!

anthonynorth said...

Great words for an excellent story.

Silent Otto said...

Under no circumstances let go of the Bluebird !, hi Margaret

TALON said...

So beautiful, Margaret! Loved hearing that story, too.

Nana Jo said...

I loved hearing their story. I think the figures in his painting look rather like your photo of them. Bella ... beautiful, and your words, too.

Anonymous said...

Chagall's story is so enticing and your poem captures a wonderful taste of it. Love the images you share and the back story about the book. I would love to read it.

Maude Lynn said...

I really like this, Margaret!

Laurie Kolp said...

Yes... anything's possible together.

Susan Lindquist said...

I love the positioning of their photo with his portrait of them! I didn't know the history of their wonderful relationship ... this makes the painting all the more poignant! And your poem all the more lovely a tribute to love ...

Anonymous said...

romanticism is eclipsing ~as is your writing dear. Blessings Debbie

Doctor FTSE said...

I'm sure Chagall has painted himself and Bella, and the picture and your poem catch the intensity of their relationship.

Helen said...

Margaret, your poem is incredibly sweet ... so much meaning in few words.

Unknown said...

Such a sweet love poem!