Thursday, November 20, 2014

"I'm Thankful"


I'm Thankful

Bittersweet twines,
grasps a hold of bricks and posts
as kale flashes lavender corsages;
no deferring to colors smoldering.

I'm thankful for these competitors
of late fall's seasonal color,
splashing vibrant hues
amongst backdrop of waning glory,

for tyrannical crows
who claim field and fence
where little bluebirds and cardinals
mid-summer freely danced and swooped.

I'm thankful for the westerly sinking sun
quietly draping hills and valleys
with soothing shades of velvety grays
and crystal kisses,

for crisp air that chills my cheeks,
makes me hurry homeward
toward promises of smoldering hearth,
entwined arms and legs.

I'm thankful for celebrating together
the richness of another season's
coming and going and the bountiful gifts
that life and death provide.

by Margaret Bednar, November 20, 2014

This is for The Gratitude Quilt over at "Shine the Divine".  I will post a link to the 6th annual offering of thanks once it is up on Laura Hegfield's blog.


4 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

that's lovely. enjoy your holidays.

Laura said...

Thank you thank you dear Margaret, I'm so grateful to have this gorgeous "patch" to add to the Quilt!

21 Wits said...

I'm thankful, I opened this and read your lovely words of thankfulness!

Ginnie Hart said...

I don't know if you've ever heard me mention, Margaret, that Thanksgiving weekend is the hardest time of the year for me to be away from my family. It is. I'm not even sure I can put my finger on it, but your poem definitely describes part of it. Enjoy your family this year...even as I know you do!