Wednesday, November 12, 2014

"Nourishment"


Nourishment

"The tree seemed already dead, bowed on the slope and all I know of miracle…"  Salvatore Quasimodo

I fear a flick of his tail might shatter
afternoon's stained glass golden glow,
that his nervous fingered fidgeting,

reminiscent of a child during Mass
(eager to run, eyes mischievous)
will break the reverent silence

of deer grazing beneath dry fallen leaves
and startle the crows to cry a warning
as I've yet to be noticed -

But before I can genuflect,
squirrel scampers, deer turn tail,
and crows wing away, "caw, caws" fading.

So I resume my litany through forest cathedral,
pay homage to life's feverish withdrawing
so next season's miracle may spread its grace.

by Margaret Bednar, November 12, 2014

This is hopelessly late, but for "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Sunday Mini-Challenge: Salvatore Quasimodo".


5 comments:

21 Wits said...

It may be late you say, but I'm happy I caught it. Such visions you paint for us!

Kathryn Dyche said...

Beautiful :)

Grace said...

The forest cathedral is beautiful indeed ~ Such a miracle to witness the animals gracing the afternoon's golden glow ~

Thanks for playing along Margaret ~ Have a good week ~

Vandana Sharma said...

hope will shine through the winters

Ginnie Hart said...

This is a paean of praise to my favorite season of the year!