Sunday, November 20, 2016

Crossroads

Chelsea Susan Bednar - Scenic Designer - "Side Show" UNCSA
after the show - stage lightly back lit - costumes were colorful,
the whole performance was splendid.  What a team effort! 
Crossroads

I see her, crayon in hand,
turning carefully so to keep tip sharp.
Creampuff cheek, tiny tot hands,
shading, creating worlds as I read story or verse;

pause to admire
what out of thin air she wrestles to paper:
scenes, delicately displayed, vibrantly rendered.

Admire strength and tenderness
in her youthful artist's mark.
Revel in the joy her little face sheds
as proudly presented to me they are.

---

Seventeen years later, overwhelmed;
theatre's threshold I stand, 
see another vision come to life -

a world shaped and shadowed;
unbridled reverie birthed through fingertips held dear.

watch her descend stage steps in dress of red, 
cheeks still youthful, but womanly,
fingers, strong and elegant as she waves,
high heels click upon planked stage...

her pageantry only beginning; college cocoon
soon left behind.  My blossoming butterfly will soar.
And her crayons will be carefully tended.

by Margaret Bednar, November 20, 2016

A bit sappy, but that's how I feel right now.  Chelsea is a senior at UNC School of the Arts and she was Scenic Designer for the school musical "Side Show".  Here is a link to the UNC School of the Arts article:  "Musical about conjoined twins poses challenges for student designers"

Linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Sunday Mini Challenge - Micro Poetry - The Cross-roads"  and the poetry of Kwei Brew "The Mesh"  Loosely played with the them crossroads - (childhood into adult) and I FORGOT to make it only ten lines.... sorry, Kerry - chalk it up to a mother's getting carried away with memories:)

Scenic rendering for "Side Show" by Chelsea Susan Bednar
Model box for "Side Show" by Chelsea Susan Bednar
The Program for "Side Show" - Scenic Design: Chelsea Susan Bednar

11 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

You must be super proud, Margaret. I have always admired Chelsea's artwork, and so amazing to see it come to life on the stage. An incredible achievement.

eve said...

I am so Proud of Chelsea! still remember when she wrote me a letter about wanting to go to UNCSA!!!

brudberg said...

Maybe there was a crossroad back there somewhere.... love the two different times you portray.

Margaret said...

Bjorn.. you are right - I guess I did play loosely with the them of "crossroads" - was trying to tie in the image I have of her as a child with a beloved hobby to now graduating as an adult and taking the path of a full fledged career...

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I don't think it's sappy to have such sweet motherly memories and justifiable motherly pride.

Debi Swim said...

"My blossoming butterfly will soar." Oh, how bitter sweet those words are. You have much to be proud about.

Kim M. Russell said...

What a gorgeous tribute to your daughter, Margaret! I love the opening stanza, especially:

'Creampuff cheek, tiny tot hands,
shading, creating worlds as I read story or verse;'

and later on:
'a world shaped and shadowed;
unbridled reverie birthed through fingertips held dear'

'...My blossoming butterfly will soar.
And her crayons will be carefully tended.'

Susie Clevenger said...

I sat in a similar moment with my youngest daughter. She designed, costumed and directed her graduate piece for her Master's degree. She came to it a little older than your daughter, but still she was my little girl turned woman.

Samyuktha Semi Jayaprakash said...

This is so amazing! I wish my parents wrote like this about me :P

Jennifer Wagner said...

This tugged at my heartstrings. You must be so proud of her!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

A beautiful, beautiful tribute to your daughter, Margaret ❤️💖