Friday, April 13, 2018

"The Altar"


The Altar

Within Grandma's holy sanctum resided an altar
before which I was in awe, would stand tip toe in worship
adoring the lines of her ornate hand held ivory mirror
and silver hair brush; hands not folded in prayer
but covering my lips as my eyes traveled to the holy grail.

Sometimes she would humor me, open it,
musical notes tumbling out and I'd laugh,
imagine I'd ceased to exist amongst the living
and miraculously been transported to an angelic realm,

convinced the silver birds with amber eyes
and gem studded feathers would defy the laws of nature,
turn into flesh and bone; tiny creatures
that would fit into my pocket.

A gift I'd offer up to God someday while at Mass
as I knew such veneration should be reserved
for Jesus alone.

by Margaret Bednar, April 12, 2018
I adore brooches and search for them in antique stores.  I rarely buy them, but they do make me happy to this day.

This is linked to "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Poetry as Metaphor" We were to select 13 words from a quote by Diane Setterfield from "The Thirteenth Tale"

and NaPoWriMo 2018 (30 poems in 30 days)

My 13 words:  laughter (laugh), flesh, bones (bone), living, ceases (cease), exist, humor, happily, alter (altar), amber, laws, nature, miracle (miraculously)


15 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Children's eyes conjure the best magics--pure, full of wonder, kissed by beauty unpolluted by the world. I can see her eyes twinkle with delight...

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Love this especially; "gem studded feathers would defy the laws of nature."💞

Jae Rose said...

I love the tenderness of remembering in this wonderful poem

Ellecee said...

I can see this little girl, her wonder, her imagination, as she is allowed to look at Grandma's treasures. I think she's wonderfully portrayed.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I'm so enjoying all these reminiscences!

Gillena Cox said...

How beautiful, the awe, the childhood memories, the emotions. And that brooch image to open

happy you dropped by my blog today Margaret

much love...

annell4 said...

Yes, our tastes are probably formed when we are very young, and associated with the people we love. I enjoyed your poem.

Kerry O'Connor said...

The title, the opening image and the final lines work together so well, Margaret. The content also touches me on a personal level. I have several of my grandmothers' broaches.

Rommy said...

It was so lovely to see the strong and magical bond you had with your grandmother.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I loved contemplating the vivid images in your wonderful poem.

purplepeninportland.com said...

I could see a child's awe at such riches. I remember my grandmother's vanity table with silver hairbrush and comb. It fascinated me.

tonispencer said...

This touches ne deeply. I have several of my grandmother's brooches (that I wear!), one very similar to the bird. I loved the child in this being amazed at the riches of her jewelry box.

Jim said...

Nice, nice, Margaret. Grandmothers have mysterious things and ways. I've watched on develop, she me also. We've been married 45 years, have five kids, six grandchildren, and four greats. One great-great is due first part of May.
..

Vivian Zems said...

A good one! A child's imagination is always awesome.

kaykuala said...

imagine I'd ceased to exist amongst the living
and miraculously been transported to an angelic realm,

A great feeling that can only happen when there is a wonderful relationship with someone close! A rare find Marge!

Hank